Philanthropic ride: Indoor cycling event will raise money for ovarian cancer on March 7

Philanthropic ride: Indoor cycling event will raise money for ovarian cancer on March 7 / Staff-Samantha Shal” rel=”lightbox[26491013]”>slideshow

They may not be going anywhere physically, but dozens of stationary bike riders will gather at the Midtown Athletic Club at Windy Hill in southeast Cobb County on March 7 to push toward the goal of a world without ovarian cancer.

Bethany Diamond, founder of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund’s Ovarian Cycle Ride to Change the Future fundraiser, said she estimates about 150 to 200 riders participated last year.

“We have bikes that fill up a double basketball court,” said the Sandy Springs resident.

She founded the event in Atlanta in 2004 after witnessing a friend, Debbie Green Flamm, suffer through and eventually lose her battle to ovarian cancer. This year the goal is $200,000.

“This event is so important, because it really does draw awareness as to what ovarian cancer is and also awareness so that there can be more funding going towards ovarian cancer so there can be a cure,” said Sharon Sigler, of Marietta, a 22-year ovarian cancer survivor.

Sigler served as a volunteer for the event in 2014 and will be volunteering this year as well as working to secure corporate sponsorships.

“I remember walking into this big room filled with spin cycles and all these teal and white balloons (last year), and I just got tears in my eyes looking at the devoted people that were riding to raise money so that we can find a cure for ovarian cancer,” she said.

Sigler said in addition to riders and sponsors, community members are encouraged to take part in the event by cheering on the participants.

“It’s like a big party,” Diamond said.

Ganesh Natarajan is the Founder and Chairman of 5FWorld, a new platform for funding and developing start-ups, social enterprises and the skills eco-system in India. In the past two decades, he has built two of India’s high-growth software services companies – Aptech and Zensar – almost from scratch to global success.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders