Lou Ursone: George Bailey lives

A little more than a year ago, the Fairfield County Community Foundation initiated a new (to this area) concept in fundraising that also raises awareness for the hundreds of nonprofits doing great work throughout our county. At the end of Giving Day 2014, I was overwhelmed by the level of support we received: We had more contributions and raised more dollars than any other nonprofit organization in the county. What was particularly gratifying to me last year was that so many other arts organizations had done well too.

Many nonprofit colleagues asked, “How did you do it?” (Why do you think MDA was successful each year with the Jerry Lewis Telethon?) I also believe that our personal connection with our community is the key, and partly because we had some kind of activity at our Sterling Farms home 340 days last year.

When the announcement came around that Giving Day was returning for 2015, I was excited and apprehensive. Through actual fundraising and bonus prizes, we raised $82,000 that day.

This year, 17 percent of the nearly $1,000,000 raised in that 24-hour period went to performing arts organizations.

As a life-long member of the Stamford/Fairfield County arts community, I ask you to help us broaden support for the arts. Our most sincere gratitude goes to lead sponsor Bank of America, as well as to Juanita James and the amazing team at the Fairfield County Community Foundation, who support Curtain Call, the arts, and so many other terrific members of the nonprofit sector.

All of us at Curtain Call are extremely proud and grateful for the 25 years of support our community has provided, but we’re most especially thankful for the generosity bestowed upon us on Fairfield County Giving Day. Here’s to Giving Day 2016 and the next 25 years in Curtain Call history.

Meticulon, a project of Autism Calgary Association in partnership with the federal government and the Sinneave Family Foundation, operates as a social enterprise that renders high-tech services provided by people with autism, leveraging their natural abilities at requiring attention to detail, repetition, and sequencing.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders