Giving circles quietly help out families and children

It made an enormous change for the people we help.”

After her organization won the grant, Pearce said, the center was able to assist about 200 more families with rent and utility bills, helping them to get their lights turned back on or to stave off eviction notices.

“That’s the thing I love about my job: I give other people’s money away to people who are very grateful,” Pearce said.

Linda Mitchell, an original founder of the Northland Giving Circle, recalled her enthusiasm for the Northland Assistance Center when visiting it back in 2012.

“They do an amazing job,” Mitchell said. “It’s just one woman (Pearce) and lots of volunteers, and they really have helped innocent people who can’t pay their bills.”

The Northland Giving Circle associated with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation along with similar giving circles in Liberty and Cass County, among others has given away a total of $180,000 in the form of six grants since 2010. Feed Northland Kids has won the grant twice, in 2010 and again this year.

One member of the Northland Giving Circle, Michael Short, is also the board president of Feed Northland Kids. The winner is announced in February.

Short praised giving circles in general for their simplicity and small time commitment expected of the donors.

“The giving circles are a great way for people who care about their community to participate in supporting charitable causes without going to meetings, fundraisers or otherwise taking up a lot of time,” he said.

Social Entrepreneurship
Spotlight

Why People Buy from Social Enterprises?

The Guardian has compiled a list of responses to its latest open thread, and has announced the winner of the social enterprise gift hamper packed with presents.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders