Youth-owned businesses can apply for grant

The National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) is offering R200 000 to Tembisa youth-owned businesses as financial assistance.

Head of economic development and city planning in Ward 7 Sibusiso Banda said the grant funding came as a follow up to a business expo staged by the Ward 7 municipal committee on May 25.

“I received a follow-up call on June 4 from Bandile Makhawula, the small business development manager at NYDA.

“I used that opportunity to remind NYDA of the promise they made at the expo and I didn’t only remind them but I sent an invitation to NYDA that they accepted.

“We invited a small manageable group of young entrepreneurs to attend the presentation on June 14.

Makhawula concluded the presentation by giving general business tips like good customer service and be disciplined when it comes to money,” said Banda.

Conny Mathibela, one of the attendees, said she aspires to start a catering business and the presentation was an eye opener for her.

“It was very encouraging because I had this idea since last year but didn’t have the capital to implement it.

“With NYDA I will be killing two birds with one stone as I will get training plus a chance to receive grant funding. Thank you councillor Thabang Jiyane and Sibusiso Banda for your good work,” said Mathibela.

Banda added for the prospective entrepreneurs to access the grant funding they need to have a business idea or a business that is viable.

“They must be 18 to 35 years old and you must have attended a compulsory 5-day training course conducted by NYDA.

“Once you completed the training then you can apply for a grant from as little as R1 000 to R200 000 to purchase equipment or stock,” said Banda.

Social Entrepreneurship
Spotlight

A Bar That Saves Children’s Lives

Ryan Devlin, Todd Grinnell and Ravi Patel have traveled to Africa on a humanitarian trip a few years back, encountering children suffering from severe malnutrition get healthy through Plumpy’Nut®.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders