The Community Foundation of Calhoun County (CFCC) was established October 1, 1999 as one of more than 750 community foundations in the United States organized in trust form to promote and build permanent endowments in local communities.
From January 27, 1997 to October 1, 1999 the organization was Stringfellow Health Trust, a private foundation. The Trust, with just over $13 million in assets, was established by a thirty-year lease by Health Management Associates to operate Stringfellow Memorial Hospital. Prior to the lease, the Board of Trustees operated the nonprofit hospital, which was established in 1939 under the 1920 will of Susie Parker Stringfellow.
On October 1, 1999, the Stringfellow Health Trust was granted permission by the IRS to transfer and irrevocably assigned its assets ($14 million) to the CFCC. Thus, the Stringfellow Health Fund was established as a component fund of the CFCC and continues its charitable mission under the administration of the Community Foundation.