Cops: Financial aid boss offered grants for sex

“Nancy Grace” is television’s only justice themed/interview/debate show for those interested in the breaking news of the day.

Bekken, 36, is accused of offering grant money to students at North Idaho College in exchange for sexual encounters
Investigators created a fake student account in an attempt to identify the person posting ads on Craigslist
Bekken, a financial aid director at the college, is accused of transferring $587 to the fake student after agreeing to meet for sex

A financial aid director at an Idaho community college allegedly offered scholarship money to students in exchange for sex.

According to the Coeur d’Alene Police Department, officers learned of a possible faculty member propositioning students at North Idaho College from a January 8 post in the “Casual Encounters” section on Craigslist.

The advertisement said, “Hello, I have a proposition for NIC students.

In one e-mail sent to the undercover detective, the college employee allegedly said, “I’ve never done something like this and I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me,” according to the police report, adding “If this works, we can keep it going for future semesters.”

The poster transferred $587 of NIC Foundation Scholarship funds into the student’s account, police said.

After a three-week investigation, authorities determined 36-year-old Joseph Michael Bekken, an employee in the financial aid office, had been posting the advertisements.

He was apprehended on February 18 after he allegedly attempted to meet the fake student for sexual relations, authorities said. He has not yet retained an attorney, according to court officials.

A North Idaho College employee, speaking on behalf of the scholarship foundation, told police that the scholarships come primarily from private donors and are allocated for students with specific interests, such as law enforcement.

Three social enterprises were recognized at the 2013 President’s Challenge Social Enterprise Award for their major contributions to society. SATA CommHealth and Bliss Restaurant landed Social Enterprise of the Year titles, while Bettr Barista Coffee Academy bagged the award for Social Enterprise Start-up of the Year.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders