Hearts for Hope fundraising dances to a record beat

LAUREL No doubt about it, the 2015 Hearts for Hope Dinner Dance was entertaining -and one for the record book.

Attendance was a first-ever sellout and a record amount of money was raised through ticket sales, auction items and fundraising dance competition during Saturday night’s event that benefits the non-profit Laurel Community Foundation’s two temporary/transitional housing facilities Hope House I & II.

In fact, nearly $12,000 was generated by Dancing with the Stars fundraising alone. That amount not even counting ticket revenue, auction proceeds or sponsor donations surpassed the entire amount raised at any previous Hearts for Hope events.

“The total I am looking at here is greater than we have actually made on the entire project in times past,” said Master of Ceremonies Dennis O’Neal in announcing the Dancing with the Stars winner. That is far and beyond any record that we had before.”

“We’ve taken this thing to a whole new level,” said John Shwed, Mayor of Laurel and president of the Laurel Community Foundation, which operates and maintains the two Hope House facilities.

As he boldly predicted in fun-filled chatter on social media, Josh Wharton and his dance partner Lisa Horsey drew the most fundraising support there were over 350 attendees and each received one free vote; additional votes were $1 apiece. Horsey said that not only is the Hearts for Hope a fun event, it helps raise awareness to community need.

“I think we need more awareness,” she said.

Hope House provides transitional housing for homeless families.

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders