Sasol, Lake Charles LNG commit a combined $205K to scholarship program

LAKE CHARLES The Community Foundation of Southwest Louisiana announced recently that it received an additional $205,000 to the Workforce Scholarship Fund for more than 60 scholarships through ABC school and Sowela Technical Community College.Sasol contributed $155,000 yielding a total investment of more than $500,000 to the program to date. Lake Charles LNG contributed $50,000 this year, totaling a $100,000 investment from the company to the program thus far.”A second phase of funding from our corporate donors will further support workforce development in our region,” said Sara Judson, Community Foundation president & CEO. Scholarships will continue to be awarded for a variety of craft training programs as funding becomes available.”The financial support afforded to me through this scholarship fund has truly changed my life,” Kenya Cowen, scholarship recipient and resident of Mossville. I look forward to using my new skill set to be of service to my community.”Sasol founded the Community Support Fund and Workforce Scholarship program in 2014 as a pilot program with an overarching goal of establishing the fund as a vehicle of community support to the estimated 20 percent of Southwest Louisiana’s population currently unemployed, underemployed or uneducated. Lake Charles LNG was the fund’s second corporate contributor and the Community Foundation is actively pursuing additional funders.A key success factor of the workforce scholarship program is its foundation the Workforce Resource Guide. Candidates enrolled in the scholarship program navigate this process step-by-step with the help of their trained mentors and designated career counselors.Professional career counselors, with locally-owned workforce development solutions firm Carheel Consulting, provide guidance and serve as an intermediary between participants, educational institutions and service providers. Mentors support scholarship recipients by providing life skills support, guidance, encouragement, mentorship and assistance with coordinating resources.Page 2 of 2 – “Playing a small part in helping another person achieve a goal has been a fun and rewarding opportunity,” Kevin Guidry, Calcasieu Parish Police Juror, former professional athlete and trained mentor, said. With this program, we all can help our neighbors and communities succeed.”Depending on individual needs, scholarships could cover tuition, training costs, career counseling and connection with support services including tutoring, financial literacy, computer literacy and basic life support needs such as clothing and food. mainImageContainerInnerHTML_sm += ”+mainImageData_credit+”; mainImageContainerInnerHTML_sm += ”+mainImageData_caption+”; $(‘#art-main-image-credit-container_sm’).css(‘width’,smimgwidth).css(‘padding’,’3px ‘+(mainImageData_leftPadding – 3)+’px 0 0’);

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders