Bartlesville Education Promise helping students succeed

You are here

Less than a year ago, a local group of education supporters teamed up with Bartlesville school officials and designed a pilot program to help struggling students live up to their potential and have a successful future.

The dozen or so civic leaders behind Bartlesville Education Promise are already making progress, providing weekly tutoring and summer enrichment activities that will span over the next three years at an estimated annual cost of about $50,000.

“It’s going better than I expected,” said Ginger Griffin, a founding member of BEP. “When Ginger Griffin approached me to help on the Bartlesville system today because of the changing demographics, I decided it was time to review the problems, determine if there was a model that could help the school system today, and maybe try and help.”

And so BEP members have been busy raising funds to support students, beginning last fall with an after-school tutoring program at Bartlesville High School. “Between BEP, Bartlesville Public Schools, Tri County Tech, Bartlesville Community Foundation, the Bartlesville Rotary Club, and Lowe Family Young Scholars, we are going to have a great summer offering for the students of Bartlesville.”

Another BEP member, Roger Box, served on BPSD’s Long Range Facilities Committee several years ago when he became aware of the some of the problems that face special needs students.

He’s particularly pleased with the BEP program for the upcoming transition camps that start this summer and will provide weeklong orientation programs for students moving from fifth to sixth grade as well eighth grade students heading to ninth grade.

“Statistically these are emotionally challenging times for the already academically challenged student.

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders