Executive director of water institute receives top community honor

Executive director of water institute receives top community honor | MLive.com Executive director of water institute receives top community honor Alan Steinman has often said the Muskegon’s two greatest assets are its water and its people.

The executive director of Grand Valley State University’s Annis Water Resource Institute still believes that, but while receiving the Patricia B. Events like that really remind me why I’m so proud to call Muskegon my home.”

Steinman received the 17th award at the Community Foundation for Muskegon County‘s Annual Gathering and Reception on June 28.

Established by the foundation to honor Pat Johnson, the first president and CEO of the foundation, upon her retirement, the purpose of the award is to recognize visionary, dynamic leadership by an individual or organization.

Recipients receive a cash award to be given to a nonprofit organization of their choice and are recognized on a plaque in the foundation boardroom.

Annis Water Research Institute building in Muskegon formally dedicated

Steinman arrived in Muskegon 2001 to assume leadership of the Annis Water Resource Institute. Since then, the facility has become a national leader in water-related research.

Steinman has been at the forefront of the idea for Muskegon’s “Blue economy” and has attracted millions of dollars in philanthropic dollars for the study and improvement of area lakes, rivers, wetlands and watersheds.

“His influence has made phrases like ‘harmful algal blooms, phosphorus cycling and aquatic invasive species like quagga mussels’ understandable to non-academics like me, and fun to say.”

Social Entrepreneurship
Spotlight

Influencing Social Good Through Retail

When Hannah Davis   traveled to China to teach English, she noticed how Chinese workers and farmers were often sporting olive green army-style shoes. Those shoes served as her inspiration to create her own social enterprise, Bangs Shoes.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders