Bakery brings historic Bonnie Kate theater back to life

Sugar Love Bakery opened in the historic Bonnie Kate Theatre in downtown Elizabethton Friday.

“This has been a special place in the heart of everybody in our town,” Sugar Love owner Shonna Peters said. “I get chill bumps just thinking about it,” Peters said.

Months ago, no one knew what the future held for this vacant old building, a former staple of downtown.

“I share like everybody else so many memories here,” Peters said.

Now she runs part of a place where she spent countless hours of her childhood.

“On kindergarten graduation, I remember seeing “ET” in the theater, having my first kiss, watching “Steel Magnolias” in the theater,” Peters said. “So to be able to have a business here it’s amazing, it’s such a blessing, it’s a dream come true, and everyday I have to pinch myself when we come in here.”

She said as a single mom, she hopes making this dream of hers come true sets an example for her three girls.

“That’s important especially in our young girls to instill in them the importance of succeeding and having goals and not being afraid of achieving them, it doesn’t matter what your obstacle is,” Peters said.

Right now she has opened a bakery on one side, and soon Peters will open a farm to table restaurant on the other side.

The city and the Elizabethton/ Carter County Community Foundation are currently working on a restoration plan for the rest of the building.

Earlier this year, the Elizabethton City Council voted to purchase the Bonnie Kate theater after the Elizabethton/ Carter County Community Foundation raised the more than $100,000 to cover the cost.

Copyright 2016 WJHL.

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders