Crowded GOP field for 79th House seat

Five RepublicansA make for a crowded race for the 79th District state House seatA held byA Kim LaSata who, in an unusual move, is not seeking re-election to the seat but instead is running for the state Senate.

The five Republican candidates for the House seat will square off in the August primary election, with the top vote-getter facing one of two Democratic candidates in November.

Republicans in the race are JoAnn DeMeulenaere, Bruce Gorenflo, Troy Rolling, Maria Moen and Pauline Wendzel. I want the voices of the 79th District to be heard in Lansing.a

She has a bacheloras degree in political science, is married with three teenage children, and is a member of the BridgmanA Board of Education, where she has served since 2009.A

aIn this capacity, I am a steward of an $11 million public school budget. During my service on the school board, the districtas fund balance has grown and our district is thriving.aA

SheA noted that she also has experience with negotiating contracts.

DeMeulenaere said her primary focus areas, if elected, will be education, public safety and health care.

aPublic safety is near and dear to me, with family members serving as police officers and firefighters,a she said. If elected I will work hard to bring more attention and resources to these issues.a

She said businesses and schools must collaborate to continue to grow career and technical education opportunities, including apprenticeships.A

aProviding all students with a solid education creates a more skilled work force for our state, which would decrease poverty levels and allow all Michiganders to thrive,a DeMeulenaere said. Joseph High School, Lake Michigan College and Western Michigan University. He and his wife, Christine, have three grown sons.

Gorenflo said he and many people in the district have shared the same concerns since 2010 a public education funding, economic prosperity, and the renewal of infrastructure, especially roads, water lines and bridges.A

aThese issues are joined by a new urgency to deal with public school safety and security issues, the need for automobile insurance reforms to rein in premiums (that are) among the highest in the nation, and the public health issue of opiate addiction that is not only a serious problem in the 79th District but throughout the nation,a he said. She has also served as an advisor for the Berrien Community Foundation TEAM (Teens Exhibiting Able Minds), on the Basic Need Committee for United Way and on the Lake Michigan Catholic Schools board.

She has a bachelor of arts degree in communications from Mundelien College, Chicago, and held several positions, including sales, human resources and training and development in her 13-year career with Nordstrom. The 79th district and our nation will improve when we return to the principles that allowed our citizens to flourish in the first place.a

Rolling, of Benton Harbor, is a graduate of Eau Claire High School and is a student at Liberty University. He and his wife have four children in Lakeshore Public Schools.A

Rolling has been involved with the Berrien County Republican Party since 2003,A has represented the GOP at the state levelA as a former vice chairman of the Michigan Republican Party and in 2008 was elected as an alternate delegate to the Republican National Convention. In 2010 he became a Fellow of the Michigan Political Leadership Program at Michigan State University and has had training in public policy and effective governing.

aIam qualified because Iave already worked on policy in Lansing and Washington, D.C., and Iam ready to go,a Rolling said.A

Rolling, along with Dr. The mission, Rolling said, is to bring conservative values into urban communities and encourage black conservatives to run for office.A

He formed the Political Company, founded in 2012, to manage and consult for campaigns.A In 2014, he launched a second business called Redtie Concierge, serving clients throughout West Michigan and Northern Indiana.A He served three years on the Benton Township Planning Commission and is a member of the Michiganas Great Southwest Strategic Leadership Council.A

Rolling is a member of the Blue Roof Church, describes himself as a apro-life, pro-2nd Amendment, conservative Republican,a and said he loves to fish, travel, and spend time with his family and friends.

aMy passion for many years is to see our kids in this state have a path to success as they leave high school. Iam running becauseA I believe we need to make sure our kids graduate from high school with the ability to go to work right away. 1A problem facing Michigan and the 79th District is poor roads and infrastructure.

aIn my first 100 days as a state representative, I will introduce a bill to start taking care of our roads in this state and help champion a coalition of representatives working (on)A this problem,a he said.

Wendzel, of Watervliet, said she prides herself on being part of a fourth-generation Bainbridge Township farming family. She is active in alumni groups at Watervliet High School and Michigan State University, where she earned a bachelor of arts degree in anthropology and food industry marketing.

She said she learned the value of hard work at a young age working on her familyas farm and counseling young children at Five Pines, a Christian camp. She has been a program director at the North Berrien Historical Museum, assistant deputy clerk for Bainbridge Township, and is the product brand development manager at Coloma Frozen Foods, promoting Michigan fruits, vegetables and agritourism throughout the nation.A

Wendzel was the 2007 Michigan Apple Queen, is an advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and was active in the Berrien County Youth Fair and 4-H. aAs a lifelong resident of our district, I know the people of our community, understand the issues important to us and share our Southwest Michigan values.

Wendzel said she is motivated to ensure the voices of Southwest Michigan are heard in Lansing. Our roads lay the groundwork for a vibrant economy, and delaying the work necessary to bring our infrastructure up to acceptable standards makes conditions worse and raises costs,a Wendzel said.

aAs your next state representative, I will work to find comprehensive solutions that will save taxpayers money and deliver the roads hard-working Michiganders deserve,a she said.

John Converse Townsend, a Forbes contributor, shares what can the private sector do for a social enterprise. He encourages social enterprises to reach out to corporations for help to scale up their businesses.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders