Latest Posts

Darren Walker delivers commencement address at the University of Texas

May 25, 2015 5:00 pm Published by

University of Texas community: Please join me in recognizing the 28th President of the University of Texas at Austin, William Powers, Jr.

The story of a boy, who started life in a little shotgun house in Ames, Texas; the story of a young man who made his way up the ladder in a new city, who has the great privilege of leading an institution committed to ending poverty and injustice in the world this is a Texas story. In short, it’s a story about bridges.

You see, my mother crossed a bridge to take my sister and me into Texas. I’ll never forget crossing the bridge over the Colorado River on my first visit to Austin. I crossed a bridge into New York, when I took my University of Texas education out into the world.

In fact, every major turning point in my life every figurative bridge has been accompanied by a literal one.

A program called Head Start was my bridge between being unready for life and prepared for school.

Private scholarships from Texas philanthropists and Pell grants were my bridge between lower expectations and higher education.

I had champions women and men who, through their kindness, offered me a bridge to a world I could not have imagined on my own.

I traveled to Selma with one of my personal heroes, Congressman John Lewis, who marched on the Edmund Pettis Bridge, a half century ago. I had bridges built in Texas, and beyond.

I am proof of what happens when people set aside differences, and build bridges instead. And I’ve made my life’s story into my life’s passion and my life’s passion into my life’s project: Ensuring that every boy and girl in this country and around the world can cross the same bridges that I did.

I know each of you has your own bridges to build, and to traverse.

And so, tonight, as you cross the figurative bridge that is your commencement day as you cross that bridge over the Colorado River and leave the 40 Acres behind; as your journey unfolds before your very eyes think about how you can build a bridge to a better world.

As I’ve travelled the globe, I’ve seen how Texas has prepared me for every challenge, to cross every bridge, to build bridges where they didn’t yet exist.

I cannot wait to see what bridges you cross, what bridges you build, and who you bring together on your journey.

Please selectAfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBhutanBoliviaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBrazilBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaColombiaComorosCongo, Democratic Republic of theCongo, Republic of theCosta RicaCote D’IvoireCroatiaCubaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFijiFinlandFranceGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHondurasHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIran, Islamic Republic ofIraqIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, Democratic People’s Republic ofKorea, Republic ofKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People’s Democratic RepublicLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyan Arab JamahiriyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic ofMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMexicoMicronesia, Federated States ofMoldova, Republic ofMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPalestinian TerritoriesPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarRomaniaRussian FederationRwandaSaint Kitts And NevisSaint LuciaSaint Vincent And The GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome And PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyrian Arab RepublicTajikistanTanzania, United Republic ofThailandTimor-LesteTogoTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited States of AmericaUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuela, Bolivarian Republic ofVietnamYemenZambiaZimbabwe

Glen Rose Graduates Receive Wasilchak Scholarship

A

Glen Rose Graduates Receive Wasilchak Scholarship – The Glen Rose Reporter : Community VoiceGlen Rose Graduates Receive Wasilchak Scholarship – The Glen Rose Reporter : Community Voice Glen Rose Graduates Receive Wasilchak Scholarship

Two Glen Rose High School graduates have been named 2015 recipients of the John and Frances Wasilchak Scholarship. A Glen Rose High School academic leader and quarterback, Lane also volunteers at Glen Rose Elementary School in support of paper recycling efforts.

The Wasilchak Scholarship Fund, which was started in 2004 through the Community Foundation of North Texas, has awarded more than $343,000 and benefitted more than 24 Glen Rose High School students.

Wine Walk will support philanthropic giving

Want to know more?

During the Wine and Food Week H-E-B Wine walk, attendees can sample hundreds of domestic and international wines while also tasting food creations from several different restaurants.

Woodlands residents and visitors can taste hundreds of wines while sampling food and listening to live music during Wine and Food Week, one of the largest multiday wine and culinary events in the region.

But behind the festivities is a charitable cause: Literacy efforts across Montgomery County.

The John Cooper School Fine Arts Council teamed up with Wine and Food Week to raise funds for its major literary event and for a local literacy organization. Last year, the author series raised $2,500 for the Montgomery County Food Bank and Meals on Wheels.

The John Cooper School will be one of many tents during the wine walk, which will transform central park at Market Street into a tented area with hundreds of bite-sized creations from executive chefs paired with wines from across the world. He will serve 600 bites of Jasper’s signature macaroni and cheese topped with a bourbon-glazed pork belly.

“If you’re going to make 600 of anything, you’re going to want to pick something that represents the restaurant well, tastes delicious and is something you can do in one or two bites at most,” Newman said.

The restaurant is also expected to serve food during the Wine Rendezvous Grand Tasting and Chef Showcase on June 6 at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center. Newman will serve a seared Anson Mills grit cake topped with peach barbecue duck confit and avocado relish.

The wine walk is one of the three major events being hosted during the 11th annual Wine and Food Week, which is held between June 1-7.

The weeklong event is expected to attract more than 11,000 people this year and will showcase 75 restaurants and 200 wineries.

Former auto dealership CEO known for philanthropy

Former auto dealership CEO known for philanthropyFormer auto dealership CEO known for philanthropy EDT May 26, 2015

Pamela Alexander of Ann Arbor and Tarik Daoud of Bloomfield Hills The Arab American Council 25th Anniversary at the Renaissance Center in Detroit, Michigan on September 13, 2008.(Photo: Ankur Dholakia / The Detroit News)

Tarik Daoud, who emigrated from Iraq as a young man and built a business empire that included two southeast Michigan car dealerships, died Sunday, May 24, 2015, at his home in Southfield. Daoud was named a 1998 Michiganian of the Year by The Detroit News, which cited his charitable efforts, including scholarship and endowment funds he established at Albion College, Eastern Michigan University and Wayne State University.

aI knew if I wanted to stay here, I had to be a good citizen,a Daoud told The News in a 1999 story.

Scholarship for Shelton students in memory of Chlebowskis

With the establishment of a $250,000 through the Valley Community Foundation, they are doing just that.

A scholarship has been formed to honor Irene and Stan ‘Smiles’ Chlebowski.

Bob Chlebowski and sister, Susan Chlebowski, established a scholarship fund in memory of their parents Irene and Stan “Smiles” Chlebowski, to benefit a Shelton High School student.

“Our parents always stressed the importance of education as a way to grow professionally and as a person,” said Bob.

This scholarship will be awarded to a college-bound graduating senior selected by Shelton High School each year. “We extend our sincere gratitude to the Chlebowski family for creating a real difference in the lives of students who may not have the means to continue their academic endeavors.”

For details to contribute to this scholarship, or another award program benefiting Shelton High School students, contact the Valley Community Foundation at 203-751-9162.

“We are honored that this substantial scholarship fund will have a long-lasting impact on Shelton High School students for generations to come,” said Beth Smith, headmaster of Shelton High School.

What will you do to raise cash for Do It for Dorset Week?

The trustees of Dorset Community Foundation, who came up with the idea of Do It for Dorset Day

The annual Do It for Dorset Day has been extended across five days, from June 15 to 19, to allow people to fundraise during the event for causes across Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, east Dorset and the New Forest. Run by Dorset Community Foundation, schools, companies, groups, workplaces and individuals are encouraged to do their bit and raise money through bake sales or coffee mornings, sponsored run, quiz, auction or other ideas for Do It for Dorset Week. All donations from the activities will be going to the Dorset Fund, run and managed by Dorset Community Foundation, which supports issues affecting communities across the county.

In addition, the Foundation is running their own #LoveDorset photographic competition involving residents sharing their favourite place in Dorset paired with a 5 donation to the Dorset Fund.

Western Union Initiative Reaches One Million PASSes Milestone

Western Union Company (NYSE:WU), a leader in global payment reached its goal of one million passes to support better education for

end of 2015, Western Union committed to a $1.8 million, three-year grant through the Western Union Foundation to support UNICEF’s secondary

Assembly in September 2012 by Western Union and the Western Union Marc Audrit, Vice President, Global Brand at Western Union, also program, Education for Better, and with the support of The Western Union About Western Union’s UEFA Europa League Sponsorship

Colombia – UNICEF education programs in Colombia focus on

Mexico – UNICEF education programs in Mexico focus on inclusive

Morocco – UNICEF education programs enhance the quality of Education to develop school programs and curriculum that makes quality

Small Cap Stocks Roundup- AK Steel (AKS), Habit Restaurants Inc (HABT), Ruckus Wireless Inc …

Small Cap Stocks Roundup- AK Steel (AKS), Habit Restaurants Inc (HABT), Ruckus Wireless Inc (RKUS), Banro (USA) (BAA) | Investor Wired
Trading volumes were thin as several markets including Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States were shut for holidays.

AK Steel Holding Corporation (NYSE:AKS) increased 5.57% and close at $5.31 in the last trading session with the overall traded volume of 10.29 million shares, versus the average volume of 10.45 million shares. Find Out Here

Ruckus Wireless Inc (NYSE:RKUS) decreased -0.82% to close at $10.82 in the last trading session and its total traded volume was 791,972 shares versus average volume of 1.41 million. Just Go Here and Find Out

Banro Corporation (USA) (NYSEMKT:BAA) increased 4.65% to close at $0.371 and its overall volume in the last trading session was 2.64 million shares, versus average trading volume of 2.71 million. Banro Corporation (NYSEMKT:BAA) notified holders of Series A Preference Shares of Banro (“Banro Series A Shares”) and holders of Preferred Shares of Banro Group (Barbados) Limited (“Barbados Preferred Shares”) that the board of directors of each of Banro and Banro Group (Barbados) Limited has authorized and announced, in respect of the December 31, 2014 Dividend Payment Date, a dividend payable of US$0.67 per Banro Series A Share and Barbados Preferred Share and, in respect of the March 31, 2015 Dividend Payment Date, a dividend payable of US$0.68 per Banro Series A Share and Barbados Preferred Share (such dividends referred to herein as the “Accrued Dividends”).

Why Should Investors Buy BAA After The Recent Gain? About us Investor Wired is an independent equity news and research organization. Distribution & Visibility Report Publication Announcements (press releases) Report publication announcements are systematically made to the global financial community via press releases, which further lead to news coverage through additional, global journalistic channels.Read more

Where the Beer Flows, the Donation Goes

Ida Meyer, who owned the bar Cabbie’s Tap with her husband from 1953 to 1963, left $200,000 to nearby Northland College.

Students at Northland College in the 1950s and 60s loved Cabbie’s, a local watering hole the likes of which only a town such as Ashland, Wis.

And while there was a threshold to their tolerance of youthful shenanigans, Cabbie’s founders, Ida and Casper “Cabbie” Meyer, loved the students right back.

Just how much was made clear this spring when Ida Meyer, who had long since retired to Florida, bequeathed $200,000 to Northland College in honor of those loyal student customers.

“The way they lived their lives is precisely the way that she has now left her money,” Michael Miller, president of Northland College, said of the Meyers.

Married in 1935, Ida and Cabbie Meyer went on to own several small businesses in Wisconsin, including a cheese factory and a Dairy Queen. More than a few students from states with higher drinking ages learned to handle their beer at Cabbie’s, said those who frequented the tavern.

At the time, female students at Northland College had a curfew of 10 p.m. Paap said, “tells me that she and Cabbie were really grateful to the Northland students. But the establishment was such an indelible part of the college experience for classes of the 1950s and 60s that reunions feature a Cabbie’s night during which the bar’s current owners hang a sign displaying the original name.

Waterloo Region artists invited to enter CIGI Community Art Contest with $17400 in prizes

Waterloo Region artists invited to enter CIGI Community Art Contest with $17,400 in prizes

Waterloo The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), with generous funding support from the Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation The Musagetes Fund, invites all artists in the Waterloo Region to participate in the CIGI Community Art Contest.

“CIGI is especially pleased to partner with the Kitchener and Waterloo Community Foundation and the Musagetes Fund to support artistic creativity with a global purpose in Waterloo Region,” Kuntz says.

CIGI researches policy innovation in Global Economy, Global Security & Politics and International Law, in the belief that better international governance can improve the lives of people everywhere.

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders