Latest Posts

Building on Head Start

October 12, 2016 10:15 pm Published by

Estherville’s current Head Start situation has classrooms scattered throughout the city, Upper Des Moines Opportunity director Jamey Whitney said.

Whitney addressed the Board of Supervisors at Tuesday’s meeting about the Head Start, Early Head Start, and 0 to 5 programs.

“Right now for the Head Start, we currently have two spaces in the school [of the three Head Start classrooms] we need, but we will eventually locate two of our zero to five classrooms at Demoney. In addition, children ages zero to three and their families may participate in the Early Head Start Program in Buena Vista, Clay, and Emmet Counties.

UDMO’s Head Start Program is recognized for its collaboration with local school districts and Area Education Agencies. The other reason is that we need the grant to start construction; we can’t pay the mortgage until we are charging rent to the Head Start program, which we cannot do until it is built and they move in,”?Whitney said.

Estherville Lincoln Central School District had originally planned to build three Head Start classrooms into the new Demoney Elementary addition, Whitney said.

“We had just received an expansion grant from the federal government to add a third classroom, because we have kids in our county who need the service.”

Ultimately, the new Demoney addition only includes two classrooms, Whitney said.

“We’re working with the City to purchase the property,”?Whitney said. If we don’t do it this year, I think the opportunity might be lost.”

The starting number for UDMO?is approximately $140,000, Whitney said.

The property was originally listed for $4 million “but we reduced that by quite a bit,”?Whitney said.

“I?strictly want it to be those classrooms,”?Whitney said.

This would not go over $2 million, Whitney said.

The City of Estherville would purchase a portion of the property. City administrator Penny Clayton was present at the meeting, along with Economic Development director Lyle Hevern.

Clayton said the City does have a plan for the use of a portion of the property, but she could not say anything about that plan at this time.

The board tabled formal discussion of a possible grant or loan to UDMO for purchase of the Head Start building for the Oct.

Irvine Foundation Awards Nearly $12.3 Million in Grants

October 12, 2016 10:07 pm Published by

Grants awarded in those areas include $1 million over two years to LeadersUP to expand its capacity and efforts to improve the hiring and retention of young people in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area who are neither in school nor working; $3.4 million over three years to the National Employment Law Project to strengthen partnerships and policy initiatives aimed at improving labor and industry standards in California and promote greater economic security and opportunity for all workers in the state; $3 million over three years to Partnership for Working Families in support of its efforts to help low-wage immigrant workers; and $1.4 million over three years to Restaurant Opportunities Centers United in support of efforts to support low-wage restaurant workers and improve industry standards.

Other grants include $400,000 over two years to Mobilize the Immigrant Vote in support of the organization’s efforts to close the gap in representation of low-income immigrants and new Americans of color in California’s electorate; $600,000 to Asian Americans Advancing Justice Los Angeles to help the organization strengthen immigrant rights across the state; $444,000 over two years to Stanford University to examine what school and district leaders in California are doing to advance integrated student supports for youth in Linked Learning pathway programs; and $400,000 to the Community Water Center to support efforts to increase the number of San Joaquin Valley residents engaged in local, regional, and state-level policy making processes aimed at ensuring the supply of safe, affordable drinking water.

September 7, 2016 Irvine Foundation Awards Grants Totaling $7.7 Million
March 17, 2016 Irvine Foundation Awards $3 Million in First-Quarter Grants
February 21, 2016 Irvine Foundation Announces 2016 Leadership Award Recipients
December 18, 2015 Irvine Foundation Awards Grants Totaling $10 Million
April 2, 2013 Rosenberg Foundation Increases Payout to Advance Immigration Reform

Hinton St George church to be saved by £200000 of grants

October 12, 2016 10:03 pm Published by

if (typeof utag_data !== ‘undefined’ && typeof utag_data.user_is_logged_in !== ‘undefined’) { if ($.cookie(‘nqab’) === ‘false’) { if (module === ‘UserModule’ || module === ‘BackboneUserModule’ || module === ‘AdBlockerFaqModule’ || module === ‘ResponsiveEducationModule’) { $.cookie(‘nqab’, ‘true’, { expires: 365, path: ‘/’ }); $.cookie(‘nqab’, ‘true’, { expires: 365, path: ‘/’ }); if ($.cookie(‘nqab’) === ‘true’) { $.cookie(‘nqab’, ‘false’, { expires: 365, path: ‘/’ }); window._sp_ = {}; window._sp_.config = {}; window._sp_.config.account_id = 52;
!function(){!function t(e,n,o){function r(a,u){if(!n[a]){if(!e[a]){var c=”function”==typeof require&&require;if(!u&&c)return c(a,!0);if(i)return i(a,!0);var s=new Error(“Cannot find module ‘”+a+”‘”);throw s.code=”MODULE_NOT_FOUND”,s}var f=n[a]={exports:{}};e[a][0].call(f.exports,function(t){var n=e[a][1][t];return r(n?n:t)},f,f.exports,t,e,n,o)}return n[a].exports}for(var i=”function”==typeof require&&require,a=0;a1?e-1:0),r=1;e>r;r++)n[r-1]=arguments[r];s=o(n)}var c,s,f=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”==typeof Symbol.iterator?function(t){return typeof t}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:typeof t},d=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”===f(Symbol.iterator)?function(t){return”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:f(t)}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:f(t)},l=t(4),p=”boolean”,_=”string”,h=”number”,m=”object”,g=”function”,y={has_been_read:{type:p,”default”:!1},account_id:{type:h,fallback:function(){return i(“client_id”)}},client_id:{type:_,fallback:function(){if(window.sp_cid)return window.sp_cid;var t=document.currentScript||document.querySelectorAll(“SCRIPT[data-client-id], SCRIPT[client-id]”)[0];if(“undefined”!=typeof t){var e=””;t.hasAttribute(“data-client-id”)&&(e=”data-“);var n=t.getAttribute(e+”client-id”);if((“undefined”==typeof n?”undefined”:d(n))===_&&””!==n.trim())return n}}},publisher_base:{type:_,”default”:”$$PUBLISHER_BASE$$”},beacon_endpoint:{type:_,fallback:function(){return l.beacon}},content_control_beacon_endpoint:{type:_,fallback:function(){return l.content_control_beacon.join(“”)}},custom_beacon_entries:{type:m,validation:function(t){return Array.isArray(t)&&t.length-1?!0:void 0},”default”:!1},rid_asset_base:{type:_,”default”:[“//rid-assets”,”.”,”sourcepoint”,”.com/v1.2″].join(“”)}},v={smart_lib_url:{type:_,fallback:function(){return window._sp_.smart_url},required:!0},smart_auto_load:{type:p,”default”:!1},smart_targeting_key:{type:_,”default”:”sp_block”}},b={client_id:y.client_id,publisher_base:y.publisher_base,account_id:y.account_id};e.exports.init=function(){window._sp_=window._sp_||{},window._sp_.config=window._sp_.config||{},window._sp_.config.has_been_read=!0,c=window._sp_.config;for(var t=arguments.length,e=Array(t),n=0;t>n;n++)e[n]=arguments[n];s=o(e),r(s)},e.exports.get=i,e.exports.serialize=a,e.exports.initFromSerialized=u,e.exports.specs={BASE:y,SMART:v,INTERNAL_API_IFRAME:b}},{}],12:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;e.exports={bugsnagKey:”00eac706c084cf17802b8cba591a1128″,detection:{elementDetection:{waitInterval:100,maxRetries:1}},beacon:{shiftKey:3}}},{}],13:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=t(3),r={FIRST_ACCESS:”fa”,SESSION_START:”ss”,OPT_OUT:”oo”},i={FIRST_ACCESS_EXPIRY:63072e3,SESSION_START_EXPIRY:7200,OPT_OUT_EXPIRY:63072e3};for(var a in r)i[a]=o.cookie_prefix+r[a];e.exports=i},{}],14:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=t(33);e.exports=function(){for(var t=[“/”,”/”,”a”,”d”,”.”,”d”,”o”,”u”,”b”,”l”,”e”,”c”,”l”,”i”,”c”,”k”,”.”,”n”,”e”,”t”,”/”,”d”,”d”,”m”,”/”,”a”,”d”,”[randomstring]”,”/”,”;”,”o”,”r”,”d”,”=”,”[timestamp]”,”?”].join(“”),e=””,n=0;n0&&0===t[0].indexOf(“id”)){var e=Math.floor(Math.random()*(t.length-1)+1),n=t[0];t[0]=t[e],t[e]=n}return t}}]),e}(d[“default”]);e.exports=y},{}],27:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;function o(t){var e=window.document,n=e.addEventListener,o=n?”addEventListener”:”attachEvent”,r=n?””:”on”;window[o](r+”beforeunload”,t,!1)}e.exports=o},{}],28:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”==typeof Symbol.iterator?function(t){return typeof t}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:typeof t},r=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”===o(Symbol.iterator)?function(t){return”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:o(t)}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:o(t)},i={getCookie:function(t){if(!t)return null;t=” “+t+”=”;var e,n;return n=” “+document.cookie+”;”,(e=n.indexOf(t))>=0?(e+=t.length,n=n.substring(e,n.indexOf(“;”,e))):null},setCookie:function(t,e,n,o){var i,a,u,c;if(!t)return!1;if(o||(o=document.domain),”object”===(“undefined”==typeof e?”undefined”:r(e))&&0==Object.keys(e).length&&(n=-1),i=this.objectToString(e,”&”),a=t+”=”+i,u=[a,”path=/”,”domain=”+o],n&&(c=new Date,-1===n?c.setTime(0):c.setTime(c.getTime()+1e3*n),c=c.toUTCString(),u.push(“expires=”+c)),!(a.lengthn;n++)r=e[n].split(“=”),r.push(“”),i[decodeURIComponent(r[0])]=decodeURIComponent(r[1]);return i},removeCookie:function(t){return this.setCookie(t,{},-1)},setSubCookie:function(t,e,n,o){var r;if(!document.cookie)return this;if(r=i.getSubCookies(i.getCookie(t))||{},null==o?delete r[n]:r[n]=o,Object.keys(r).length>0){if(!i.setCookie(t,r,e))return this}else removeCookie(t);return this}};e.exports=i},{}],29:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=t(22);e.exports=function(){return o.is_ie||o.is_firefox}},{}],30:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=t(22);e.exports=function(){var t=navigator.userAgent||navigator.vendor||window.opera;return o.is_ie&&o.browser_version-1}},{}],31:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;function o(t){var e;”function”==typeof window.Event?e=new Event(t,{bubbles:!0,cancelable:!1}):(e=document.createEvent(“Event”),e.initEvent(t,!0,!1)),document.dispatchEvent(e)}Object.defineProperty(n,”__esModule”,{value:!0}),n[“default”]=o},{}],32:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;function o(t){var e=!1,n=null;return function(){return e||(n=t.apply(void 0,arguments),e=!0),n}}function r(t){var e=arguments.length1?e-1:0),o=1;e>o;o++)n[o-1]=arguments[o];return function(){for(var e=arguments.length,o=Array(e),r=0;e>r;r++)o[r]=arguments[r];var i=n.map(function(t){return null!=t?t:o.length>0?o.shift():void 0});return t.apply(null,i.concat(o))}}Object.defineProperty(n,”__esModule”,{value:!0}),n[“default”]=o,n.some=r,n.partial=i},{}],33:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o={hash:function(t){return t.split(“”).reduce(function(t,e){return t=(t0;){e=[],n=t;for(var r=0;r=33&&127>=a?(o=!1,n+=String.fromCharCode((a-33+e)%94+33)):n+=t.charAt(i)}return n}function r(t,e,n){for(var o=””,r=0;r=65&&90>=i?String.fromCharCode((i-65+e)%26+65):i>=97&&122>=i?String.fromCharCode((i-97+e)%26+97):n&&i>=48&&57>=i?String.fromCharCode((i-48+e)%10+48):t.charAt(r)}return o}function i(t,e){this.shift_key=t,”undefined”==typeof e?this.full_cipher=!1:this.full_cipher=e}i.prototype.encode=function(t){return this.full_cipher?o(t,this.shift_key):r(t,this.shift_key,!1)},i.prototype.decode=function(t){return this.full_cipher?o(t,this.shift_key):r(t,this.shift_key,!1)},e.exports=i},{}],36:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o={};e.exports=o},{}],37:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;e.exports={PAGEVIEW_ID:”pvid”}},{}],38:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;function o(){var t=new a(document),e=”Spfpc1″,n=t.get(e);if(n){var o=n.split(“!”).map(function(t){var e=t.split(“|”);return”uuid”===e[0]?e[1]:void 0}).filter(function(t){return Boolean(t)});1===o.length&&(i=o[0])}}function r(){return i?i:””}var i,a=(t(28),t(5));t(13);o(),e.exports=r},{}],39:[function(t,e,n){“use strict”;var o=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”==typeof Symbol.iterator?function(t){return typeof t}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:typeof t},r=”function”==typeof Symbol&&”symbol”===o(Symbol.iterator)?function(t){return”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:o(t)}:function(t){return t&&”function”==typeof Symbol&&t.constructor===Symbol?”symbol”:”undefined”==typeof t?”undefined”:o(t)};e.exports=function(){return”xxxxxxxx-xxxx-yxxx-yxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx”.replace(/[xy]/g,function(t){var e=”object”===(“undefined”==typeof performance?”undefined”:r(performance))&&”function”==typeof performance.now?Math.floor(16777216*performance.now()):(new Date).getTime(),n=(e+16*Math.random())%16|0;return e=Math.floor(e/16),(“x”==t?n:3&n|8).toString(16)})}},{}]},{},[1])}();//# sourceMappingURL=https://v5isluynbo9s4ybvp94a8ybvto7gyvbgos.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/sourcemaps/mmOD6Lr3T14giCNfVEC8FPmaoskmTkQstdI4uEoatAisMkBOBu.js.map var ck = ($.cookie(‘nqab’) === ‘true’) ?

Grant to fund International Baccalaureate expansion efforts at Kirn, Wilson

College View is one of the two Council Bluffs Community School District elementary schools distinguished as International Baccalaureate institutions, and the district got the green light from the Council Bluffs school board Monday night to launch the IB program in its two middle schools.

College View is one of the two Council Bluffs Community School District elementary schools distinguished as International Baccalaureate institutions, and the district got the green light from the Council Bluffs school board Monday night to launch the IB program in its two middle schools.

The funding is as follows:

Chanticleer, 2016-2017 season programming, $22,000

City of Avoca, police department, 2016 communications equipment, $2,500

City of Avoca, public library, Main entry renovation for ADA compliance, $4,950

City of Council Bluffs, public library, Council Bluffs newspaper archive (1857-2002), $120,000

City of Tabor, Main Street lights and brick-paving improvements, $10,000

Council Bluffs Community Education Foundation, classroom grants for 2016-2017, $15,000

Council Bluffs Community Education Foundation, capacity building, $10,000

Council Bluffs Community Education Foundation, STARS program, $342,614

Council Bluffs Community School District, International Baccalaureate program for Kirn and Wilson middle schools, 186,000

Council Bluffs Community School District, summer school for 2017 and 2018, $1,278,900

Council Bluffs Goodfellows, Goodfellows 2016, $35,000

FAMILY Inc., Raise Me to Read, $35,000

Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa Inc., Girl Scout STEM program, $3,000

Greater Omaha Chamber Foundation, the Kitchen Council a food incubator entrepreneurship program, $100,000

Heartland Family Service, Housing and Emergency Assistance Task Force (HEAT), $170,000

Iowa Legal Aid, Youth Link Project, $28,791

Iowa Western Community College Foundation, 2016-2017 season programming, $30,000

Joslyn Art Museum, interpretive technology for the reinstallations of permanent European galleries, $20,000

KANEKO, Creative Catalyst a after-school arts program in Council Bluffs, $2,362

New Visions Christian Worship Center, capacity building, $69,000

Nishna Valley Family YMCA, wellness equipment, $32,500

Omaha Area Youth Orchestras, Inc., Impact Iowa a support for Prelude Strings and Honors Orchestra for CBCSD, $28,927

Omaha Development Foundation, Missouri River Commons, $35,000

Omaha Symphony Association, 2016-2017 Adventures in Music a southwest Iowa, $26,000

Opera Omaha, productions of aLa boheme,a aCosi fan tuttea and aFlight,a $30,000

Pottawattamie Arts, Culture & Entertainment, arts and culture district, $2,325,369

The Blue Barn Theatre, 2016-2017 season programming, $10,000

The Council Bluffs Community School District will receive $1.4 million in funding from the Iowa West Foundation to launch southwest Iowaas first International Baccalaureate middle school program at Kirn and Wilson middle schools.

kAma(6 2C6 C62==J 92AAJ E@ 36 2 A2CE?6C H:E9 E96 r@F?4:= q=F77D $49@@= s:DEC:4E E@ 3C:?8 E96 xq AC@8C2> E@ E96 >:55=6 D49@@=D[a D2:5 !6E6 %F=:A2?2[ AC6D:56?E 2?5 rt~ @7 E96 x@H2 (6DE u@F?52E:@?] axE 92D 366? E96 7:CDE J62C @7 xq :>A=6>6?E2E:@?[ H9:49 DE2CED :>>65:2E6=J[ E96 5:DEC:4E H:== DA6?5 E96 J62C DEF5J:?8 E96 AC@8C2> 2?5 3F:=5:?8 =6256CD] qJ E96 D64@?5 J62C[ E96 5:DEC:4E H:== 9:C6 xq 4@@C5:?2E@CD[ 😕 @7 E96 xq ?@E @?=J 36?67:ED >J 49:=5C6?[ 3FE x E9:?< :E H:== 2=D@ 56G6=@A E96 4@>>F?:EJ[a wF896D D2:5] axE H:== 6?4@FC286 9:89=J 65F42E65 A6@A=6 E@ >@G6 E@ @FC 4:EJ 2?5 D6?5 E96:C

Illinois Retired Teachers Association Foundation awards grants

Principal Joe Barbic (left) presents to David Hoskins a check for a grant from Illinois Retired Teachers Association Foundation.

The Illinois Retired Teachers Association Foundation awards $15,000 in grants to several public school teachers from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade in Northern Illinois counties. The printer will increase both the scope of engineering experiences for students and a passion for science, technology, engineering and math while enabling them to learn on an industry-standard tool.

The IRTA Foundation designed this program based on the idea that teachers often do not have additional revenue sources available for unique student projects or classroom materials.

‘; CNN, NYT, Wash Post, ABC, CBS ALL Hollywood, Chi Tribune, Suntimes, LA Times, Google, Facebook, should count as a campaign contribution to the Democra What is amusing about your attack, MyManGodfrey, is this reporter worked for Rauner’s right wing front, the Illinois Policy Institute. Instead of talking about increasing or decreasing compensation, the talk ought to be about abolishing the most unnecessary unit of government in the a Just because a journalist does not report back with what you want to hear MyManGodfrey does not indicate they lack integrity or professionalism in rea

Asia’s rich embrace social-impact investment, snub wealth managers

October 12, 2016 9:52 pm Published by

var shareButtons = []; shareButtons.push({ provider:’facebook’}); shareButtons.push({ provider:’reddit’}); var moreEnabledProviders = ”; var params = { var tab_social = new CNBC_ScrollPanel(); var shareButtons = []; shareButtons.push({ provider:’facebook’}); shareButtons.push({ provider:’reddit’}); var moreEnabledProviders = ”; var params = { var targetID = e.containerID; var options = { var shareCount = formatTotal(getTotal(response)); var container = $(‘#’+targetID).prev(); var total=0; for (var item in r.shareCounts){ var CNBC_Premium = CNBC_Premium || { }; “config”: { “aid”: “o19WonOrHQ”, “rid”: “PRO”, “offerid”: “OFM2EQ9FEKFR”, “trackPages”: true, “debug”: false, “signUpPage”: “/pro-login-page”, “settings”: { “web”: { “templates”: { “story”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_simple”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_promo”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_persistent_ad”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_ng_1column”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_ng_2column”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_premium_view”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “auth-wildcard-pro”: { “new”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV”, “loggedin”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV” }, “pro_auth_wildcard”: { “new”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV”, “loggedin”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV” }, “pro_free_preview”: { “new”: “OT2JQS100WXZ”, “loggedin”: “OT2JQS100WXZ” }, “franchise_premium_view”: { “new”: “OTWB90N4WSUM”, “loggedin”: “OTWB90N4WSUM” } } }, “mobile-touch”: { “templates”: { “story”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_simple”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_promo”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_persistent_ad”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_ng_1column”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_ng_2column”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “story_premium_view”: { “new”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0”, “loggedin”: “OTQW6KZ6KEW0” }, “auth-wildcard-pro”: { “new”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV”, “loggedin”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV” }, “pro_auth_wildcard”: { “new”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV”, “loggedin”: “OTQB3FAK3JZV” }, “pro_free_preview”: { “new”: “OT2JQS100WXZ”, “loggedin”: “OT2JQS100WXZ” }, “franchise_premium_view”: { “new”: “OTWB90N4WSUM”, “loggedin”: “OTWB90N4WSUM” } } } }}, var symLookup = new CNBC_Symbol_Lookup( { var tableChartRenderer = new CNBC_Quotes.TableChartRenderer(); var chartApiUrl = ‘http://api-chart.cnbc.com/api/chart/chart.asp’; var quoteService = ‘http://quote.cnbc.com/quote-html-webservice/quote.htm’; var quoteServiceParams = ‘requestMethod=quick&exthrs=1&noform=1&fund=1&output=jsonp&symbols=’; var partnerId = 2; var quoteUrl = quoteService + ‘?partnerId=’ + partnerId + ‘&’ + quoteServiceParams; var futureQuoteUrl = ‘http://quote.cnbc.com/quote-html-webservice/fvquote.htm’; var futureQuoteParams = ‘requestMethod=quick&noform=1&realtime=0&client=fairValue&output=jsonp&symbols=’; var futureUrl = futureQuoteUrl + ‘?’ var tabletFriendlyTouch = new CNBC_TabletFriendlyTouch({ targetElement: $(‘.cnbc-menu’).find(‘a’) }); var e = document.createElement(‘script’); var commentsObj = new CNBC_Comments(); CNBC_Utils.execute( ‘lazy load functions’, function() { CNBC_Utils.execute(‘cnbc alerts’, function(){ var breakingNewsArgs = { var proAlertArgs = { var watchLiveArgs = { var watchLiveIntlArgs = {

Hong Kong needs to think outside the box on how to measure economic and social progress

October 12, 2016 9:07 pm Published by

Hong Kong needs to think outside the box on how to measure economic and social progress

Bernard Chan says the government should find new ways to identify priorities and measure policy effectiveness, for a better gauge of community development

He is also closely involved with the Social Progress Initiative, which seeks to find a better index for measuring development than basic economic benchmarks like GDP.

You could write a book about how philanthropy, the concept of shared value and the Social Progress Index overlap, and what it all means for us in Hong Kong. At the same time, there are limits to what government and politicians can do to help communities adapt.

We have no data on whether a better work-life balance through lower working hours, say damages our economy or makes us better off

The philanthropists at the recent forum spoke of new solutions to tackle issues that hold people and communities back at a municipal level. But it’s early days.

Ideas like the Social Progress Index would help us think beyond standard economic growth

One thing the government could do to help would be to adopt new ways of identifying priorities and measuring effectiveness of policy.

Wells Fargo grant to Mayo theater goes to schooltime performance

October 12, 2016 8:56 pm Published by

From left are Ana Matos, Mid Morris district manager, Wells Fargo; Juan Moreno, Wells Fargo branch manager, Morristown; Allison Larena, president and CEO, Mayo Performing Arts Center; Frisnel Guillaume, Wells Fargo branch manager, Morristown; and Azhoon F. ”

From left are Ana Matos, Mid Morris district manager, Wells Fargo; Juan Moreno, Wells Fargo branch manager, Morristown; Allison Larena, president and CEO, Mayo Performing Arts Center; Frisnel Guillaume, Wells Fargo branch manager, Morristown; and Azhoon F.

MORRISTOWN a Wells Fargo has awarded a $5,000 grant to Mayo Performing Arts Center (MPAC) to support the theateras 2016-2017 Explorations Through the Arts in theater school-time performance program.

The grant of $5,000 for the 2016-2017 program will help to provide live educational performances onstage at MPAC for about 11,000 school children and their teachers during the school year.

Now for the fifth year, Wells Fargoas grant will help offset the expenses of this important program, keeping ticket prices at a minimum to school groups.

Performances offered by MPACas aExplorationsa program utilize the arts to supplement classroom learning in a variety of subjects including classic literature, math, science, history and the language arts and nurture studentsa appreciation for the performing arts at a formative age.

William D. Eggers and Paul Macmillan of Dowser write about the social entrepreneurs slowly and steadily dirsupting the world of philanthropy. According to Forbes, philanthropy disruptors are those that believe “no one company is so vital that it can’t be replaced and no single business model too perfect to upend.”

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders