Latest Posts

Foundation makes progress in matching Lilly grant

March 18, 2015 5:00 pm Published by

Foundation makes progress in matching Lilly grant – KPCNews: Latest From The News Sun kAm%96 }@3=6 r@F?EJ r@>>F?:EJ u@F?52E:@? 😀 6=:8:3=6 7@C Sd__[___ :7 :E >66ED :ED >2E49 492==6?86 3J |2C49 b`[ a_`e] %9C@F89 |2C49 d[ E96 7@F?52E:@? kAma}@3=6 r@F?EJ 😀 6I4:E65 E@ 36 2 A2CE @7 E9:D @AA@CEF?:EJ[a D2:5 {:?52 $A622?*6C:4>F?:EJ u@F?52E:@?] a~?46 H6 >66E E96 492==6?86[ H6 H:== 92G6 S`[`d_[___ E@ :?G6DE 😕 kAm%96 5@==2C7@C5@==2C >2E49 :?4=F56D 2 7@4FD @? 3F:=5:?8 4@>>F?:EJ 6?5@H>6?ED E92E 2C6 F?C6DEC:4E65 2?5 92G6 E96 8C62E6DE 7=6I:3:=:EJ E@ C6DA@?5 E@ =@42= ?665D 7C@> J62C E@ J62C[ 564256 E@ 564256[ 244@C5:?8 E@ 2 ?6HD C6=62D6] %96 6?5@H>6?EaD >2E49 H:== 36 😕 kAmt249 4@>>F?:EJ 7@F?52E:@? E96 A2C2>6E6CD @7 E96 8C2?E 2?5 D9@F=5 36 4@?E24E65 7@C =@42= 6=:8:3:=:EJ] %JA:42==J[ 8:7ED BF2=:7J:?8 7@C >2E49:?8 7F?5D >FDE 4@?D:DE @7 4@?EC:3FE:@?D @7 42D9 @C AC@A6CEJ H9:49 42? :?4=F56 >2C2E4965 2D =@?8 2D 6249 8:7E 😀 C646:G65 3J E96 4@>>F?:EJ 7@F?52E:@? kAmu@C >@C6 :?7@C>2E:@?[ 4@?E24E $A622?*6C:4< 2E ghcbbbd @C k2 9C67lQ>2:=E@i=:?52o?@3=64@F?EJ47]@C8Qm=:?52o?@3=64@F?EJ47]@C8k^2m[ @C G:D:E E96 7@F?52E:@?aD H63D:E6[ k2 9C67lQ9EEAi^^?@3=64@F?EJ47]@C8Qm?@3=64@F?EJ47]@C8k^2mk^Am kAma(:E9 E9:D 8C2?E[ 2?5 E96 5:776C6?E >2E49 @AA@CEF?:E:6D[ H6 2C6 AC@;64E:?8 >@C6 E92? H:== 36 C2:D65 7@C @FC 4@>>F?:E:6D] (6 DE:== 92G6 2 H2J E@ 8@ 3FE 2C6 E9C:==65 H:E9 DF49 2 DEC@?8 DE2CE[a D2:5 #@D6>2CJ s@CD2[ G:46 AC6D:56?E @7 E96 x?5:2?2 !9:=2?E9C@AJ p==:2?46[ 2 >6>36CD9:A 2DD@4:2E:@? kAm%96 6?5@H>6?E 4C27E65 E96 v:G:?8 x?5:2?2 uF?5D 7@C %@>@CC@H Wvxu%X 8C2?E @AA@CEF?:EJ E@ 2==@H 4@>>F?:EJ 7@F?52E:@?D E@ 92G6 7=6I:3:=:EJ 😕 6249 4@>>F?:EJ[ 2?5 @776C >62?:?87F= :?46?E:G6D E92E 6?4@FC286 4@>>F?:EJ >6>36CD E@ 86E :?G@=G65]k^Am kAm%96 vxu% :?:E:2E:G6 >2E49:?8 8C2?E 8C62E=J 6?92?46D E96 =@42= 4@>>F?:EJ 2?5 x?5:2?2 2D 2 H9@=6] x?

Eleanora Meloun remembered for generous spirit

Over the last four years, Benson said Meloun worked with the foundation to support the endowments of the organizations close to her heart on top of her other giving, making sure they had the long-term support they needed to sustain their efforts.

After her parents emigrated from the Netherlands, settling in Albany, N.Y., Meloun was born in upstate New York and grew up with a younger brother, according to a history provided by Meloun to the Boys and Girls Club of Henderson County for a previous event in her honor.

Meloun attended a two-year business college with plans to become a private secretary.

Meloun’s dedication, love and sense of pride for this community were apparent to all who knew her, according to nonprofit leaders who worked closely with her.

Meloun had a life-long habit of helping those in need, especially children, women and families, and she said that desire to give grew even more acute after the loss of her husband, according to the history she provided BGCHC.

The philanthropist was most interested in supporting nonprofits within the health and human services field, but she also felt strongly that the community needed access to certain quality-of-life necessities, such as a symphony.

Benson said Meloun was also heavily involved with supporting organizations like Four Seasons hospice, Blue Ridge Community College, the Children and Family Resource Center, Pardee Hospital and the Boys and Girls Club.

The theme of her giving was, “how do we take care of each other,” according to Benson.

Even with her overwhelming generosity to the community, Benson said Meloun never wanted credit for her giving. Occasionally, she would allow organizations to use her name if they believed it would encourage others to give, but Benson said in recent years the two talked frequently about her desire to return to anonymity.

After seeing each other at various functions around the nonprofit community, Sue Fazio, who founded the local Boys and Girls Club with her husband, was tasked with seeking funding from Meloun nearly 20 years ago.

It didn’t take long for the two to become friends, and Fazio to this day refers to Meloun as her mentor.

“I went to ask her if she would give us $25,000 for our counseling program at the Boys and Girls Club, but I said the truth is I don’t want just 25 I’d like a three-year commitment, too, because I can’t prove that it’s going to work without some time,” Fazio said. “But, I said, actually more than your money, if you give us money, I’d like your commitment to come into the club at least once a month and make sure we’re spending your money like you want it to be spent, because I am making this up.”

Fazio said that was during a time when organizers were still figuring out what the Boys and Girls Club would become.

Meloun committed and even attended interviews for counselors at the club, according to Fazio.

“She also came once a month, just like she said she would, to check in and she sat in on the programs, and then because we were doing what she wanted, she started bringing her people in that she knew,” Fazio said.

Julia Hockenberry, assistant executive director of the club, said it was not uncommon for Meloun to swing by with a friend she had invited over for dinner to show off the club before sitting down to eat.

“She used to talk about us in the plural our Boys and Girls Club, we at the club; she felt some ownership at the club here after a while,” Executive Director Kevin Lauritsen said.

The director said he has always admired Meloun’s sharp wit and her capacity to remain optimistic while still maintaining a realistic approach to everything she laid her hands on.

“Every once in a while, I’d say, oh, goodness, and I could see the problem and she’d say, ‘Kevin, that’s not going to get you anywhere,'” Lauritsen said.

It was that sentiment that Fazio said set Meloun apart from typical donors Meloun wasn’t just there to give her money, she gave her time.

Over the last four years, Benson said Meloun worked with the foundation to support the endowments of the organizations close to her heart on top of her other giving, making sure they had the long-term support they needed to sustain their efforts.

After her parents emigrated from the Netherlands, settling in Albany, N.Y., Meloun was born in upstate New York and grew up with a younger brother, according to a history provided by Meloun to the Boys and Girls Club of Henderson County for a previous event in her honor.

Meloun attended a two-year business college with plans to become a private secretary.

Meloun’s dedication, love and sense of pride for this community were apparent to all who knew her, according to nonprofit leaders who worked closely with her.

Meloun had a life-long habit of helping those in need, especially children, women and families, and she said that desire to give grew even more acute after the loss of her husband, according to the history she provided BGCHC.

The philanthropist was most interested in supporting nonprofits within the health and human services field, but she also felt strongly that the community needed access to certain quality-of-life necessities, such as a symphony.

Benson said Meloun was also heavily involved with supporting organizations like Four Seasons hospice, Blue Ridge Community College, the Children and Family Resource Center, Pardee Hospital and the Boys and Girls Club.

The theme of her giving was, “how do we take care of each other,” according to Benson.

Even with her overwhelming generosity to the community, Benson said Meloun never wanted credit for her giving. Occasionally, she would allow organizations to use her name if they believed it would encourage others to give, but Benson said in recent years the two talked frequently about her desire to return to anonymity.

After seeing each other at various functions around the nonprofit community, Sue Fazio, who founded the local Boys and Girls Club with her husband, was tasked with seeking funding from Meloun nearly 20 years ago.

It didn’t take long for the two to become friends, and Fazio to this day refers to Meloun as her mentor.

“I went to ask her if she would give us $25,000 for our counseling program at the Boys and Girls Club, but I said the truth is I don’t want just 25 I’d like a three-year commitment, too, because I can’t prove that it’s going to work without some time,” Fazio said. “But, I said, actually more than your money, if you give us money, I’d like your commitment to come into the club at least once a month and make sure we’re spending your money like you want it to be spent, because I am making this up.”

Fazio said that was during a time when organizers were still figuring out what the Boys and Girls Club would become.

Meloun committed and even attended interviews for counselors at the club, according to Fazio.

“She also came once a month, just like she said she would, to check in and she sat in on the programs, and then because we were doing what she wanted, she started bringing her people in that she knew,” Fazio said.

Julia Hockenberry, assistant executive director of the club, said it was not uncommon for Meloun to swing by with a friend she had invited over for dinner to show off the club before sitting down to eat.

“She used to talk about us in the plural our Boys and Girls Club, we at the club; she felt some ownership at the club here after a while,” Executive Director Kevin Lauritsen said.

The director said he has always admired Meloun’s sharp wit and her capacity to remain optimistic while still maintaining a realistic approach to everything she laid her hands on.

“Every once in a while, I’d say, oh, goodness, and I could see the problem and she’d say, ‘Kevin, that’s not going to get you anywhere,'” Lauritsen said.

It was that sentiment that Fazio said set Meloun apart from typical donors Meloun wasn’t just there to give her money, she gave her time.

Match Day 2015 is here

MILWAUKEE – The Greater Milwaukee Foundation‘s annual day of online giving is underway.

“You can donate online and any gift larger than $10 will be proportionately matched with a pool of funds that have been put together by the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, the Brewers Community Foundation, the Ceres Foundation, Meijer, United Way of Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties, the Faye McBeath Foundation, and many donors and individual families,” explained Ellen Gilligan, President and CEO of the Greater Milwaukee Foundation.

There are 20 charities in the four county metro area that donors can support.

Investing in the Parks of Poorer Neighborhoods a Philanthropic Priority

As described on the William Penn Foundation website, “The initiative will explore whether reinventing and connecting these public spaces as a network of civic assets will help cities attract and keep talented workers, advance economic opportunity, encourage residents to become more engaged in shaping their communities, and begin to level the playing field between more affluent communities and those in need.”

Both foundations saw an opportunity to strengthen poorer neighborhoods that have been bypassed by the city’s construction boom; in some cases, the projects will quite intentionally link underserved communities with their more affluent neighbors, hopefully building bridges across physical or perceived barriers.

The William Penn Foundation has long been the leading force in creating new parks in Philadelphia, investing about $13 million each year in projects such as Franklin Square, Sister Cities Park, the Race Street Pier and last summer’s Spruce Street Harbor Park, a wildly successful “pop-up” space along the Delaware River. As noted earlier this week in Lisa Ranghelli’s NPQ article on the role foundations can play in advancing equity, the William Penn Foundation does emphasize grants that support underserved communities in several of its funding streams, including its “great public spaces” initiative. Reading Viaduct Rail Park in Center City is a former industrial rail line being redeveloped as a green public space, rising from ground level onto bridges that cross over city streets.

Again, going back to the William Penn website, the joint investment is described as an opportunity to “capitalize on Philadelphia’s strengths including: a large pool of new talent, rebounding neighborhoods, a diverse population, an expanding community of civic innovators, and a growing group of people who want to live and work in the city.” Fairmount Park Conservancy executive director Kathryn Ott Lovell says, “Philadelphia is serving as a test kitchen,” underscoring the interest the two foundations have in learning as much as they can about the impact of innovative public spaces on the life of a city.

New York Chief Philanthropy Officer, Top Environmental Organization

The Conservancy in New York has a long history of innovative conservation, including helping to launch the Conservancys first projects in the 1950s. From leading the organization into new realms of conservation, to creating a remarkable track record of fundraising success, the New York Chapter has positioned itself as the partner of choice for public and private institutions.

The New York Chief Philanthropy Officer provides leadership for and directs all aspects of the New York State Chapters development program.

Reporting to the New York Executive Director, the CPO works closely with the New York State Board of Trustees, serves on key fundraising strategy teams for the global organization, and collaborates with senior fundraising and program colleagues across the Conservancy to support conservation in New York and beyond.

IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS: Demonstrated development leadership experience in a major not-for-profit setting; track record of success building and maintaining long-term relationships with constituents; history of conceiving and managing strategic initiatives with broad impact; front-line major/principal gift level solicitation experience; board relations/recruitment experience; knowledge of the NYC philanthropic marketplace; major capital campaign leadership experience; expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in philanthropy; significant management experience; comfortable managing complex budgets and resources; a genuine interest in the Conservancys mission; the ability to articulate a compelling case for support; a warm, engaging style; creative and entrepreneurial; diplomatic and ambassadorial; team-oriented; able to travel regionally, nationally and internationally, sometimes on short notice; bachelors degree required, advanced degree is a plus.

Spanish lessons offered at Beginnings Care for Life Center

Spanish lessons offered at Beginnings Care for Life Center – News – The Daily Reporter – Coldwater, MI – Coldwater, MI About Beginnings
Since 1996, Beginnings Care for Life Center has offered free, confidential services, including free pregnancy tests; baby and maternity items; parenting education; Earning & Lea… About Beginnings

Since 1996, Beginnings Care for Life Center has offered free, confidential services, including free pregnancy tests; baby and maternity items; parenting education; Earning & Learning; Fatherhood Involvement; and abortion recovery programs; referrals for adoption; financial and medical assistance; and healthy relationships presentations in schools.

Beginnings is a Christian-based organization, funded by donations and run by a small staff and many dedicated volunteers. COLDWATER The Earning & Learning curriculum at Beginnings Care for Life Center has recently been updated, thanks to a grant from Branch County Community Foundation’s Faith-Based Initiative Fund. “The Earning & Learning lessons are a great way for parents to learn about child care, safety and discipline. mainImageContainerInnerHTML_sm += ”+mainImageData_credit+”; mainImageContainerInnerHTML_sm += ”+htmlencode(mainImageData_caption)+”; $(‘#art-main-image-credit-container_sm’).css(‘width’,smimgwidth).css(‘padding’,’3px ‘+(mainImageData_leftPadding – 3)+’px 0 0’); $(‘#art-main-image-caption-container_sm’).css(‘width’,sm_img.width).css(‘padding’,’5px 0 0 ‘+(mainImageData_leftPadding + 3)+’px’); $(‘#art-main-image-caption-container’).css(‘width’,img.width).css(‘padding’,’5px 0 0 ‘+mainImageData_leftPadding+’px’); $(‘#art-main-image-credit-container’).css(‘width’,img.width).css(‘padding’,’5px ‘+(mainImageData_leftPadding)+’px 0 0’);

Grant to help acquire grassland

OpinionObituariesPhotos ClassifiedsMugshotsBiz GuideHomesCarsJobsDeals Other grants of at least $10,000:

* Greater Lincoln Chamber Foundation: $12,500 for sponsorship of the summer 2015 Hear Lincoln concert series, held Fridays at noon, May 15-July 17, at Tower Square.

* Groundwater Foundation: $10,000 for special activities celebrating the group’s 30th year.

* Humanities Nebraska: $10,000 to support core programming.

* Lincoln Parks Foundation: $10,000 for a feasibility study for the Prairie Corridor capital campaign.

* OpenSky Policy Institute: $10,000 for a policy director position.

The Cooper Foundation, established by Joseph H.

U. of I. News: Philanthropic foundation executive Risa Lavizzo-Mourey to be Commencement …

News: Philanthropic foundation executive Risa Lavizzo-Mourey to be Commencement speaker

By Newsroom America Feeds at 3:29 pm Eastern

Click here to see this online

3/19/15

PHILANTHROPIC FOUNDATION EXECUTIVE RISA LAVIZZO-MOUREY TO BE COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER

CONTACT: Mike Helenthal, News Editor 217-333-5491; mhelenth@illinois.edu

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. of I.’s Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services, also will be awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters degree.

Nugent is credited with founding the department during his 38-year career.

Lavizzo-Mourey’s speech to graduates will be “It’s Your Turn Building a Culture of Health in America.”

The message mirrors the life mission of Lavizzo-Mourey, who took the helm of RWJF 10 years ago and oversees an endowment of more than $8 billion that is used to fund more than $400 million each year in projects focused on health and wellness.

Most recently, the foundation doubled a $500 million commitment made in 2007 to battle childhood obesity, with an array of national programs emphasizing better access for children to healthy foods and physical activity.

“Our goal is to ensure that everyone, no matter where they live or how much money they have, has the opportunity to make healthy choices and live a healthy life,” she said.

Commencement 2015 will be the second consecutive outdoor ceremony for the U.

Kentucky named to farm-to-school initiative funded by Walmart Foundation grant

FRANKFORT Kentucky is one of three states that will partner with The Walmart Foundation and the National Farm to School Network to expand efforts to get more local foods into schools, the network announced Thursday, March 12.

“Kentucky has led the way in helping schools locate and purchase local foods for their students while at the same time helping farmers find new markets for their products,” Agriculture Commissioner James Comer said. “We’re grateful to the National Farm to School Network and The Walmart Foundation for recognizing Kentucky’s leadership and awarding private-sector funding to help us provide our students with fresh, nutritious local foods.”

The Seed Change project will “jump start” programs that get local foods into schools and enhance food education for more than 1.8 million school children in Kentucky, Louisiana, and Pennsylvania, the National Farm to School Network wrote in a news release.

A total of 100 farm-to-school sites in the participating states each will receive $5,000 grants to implement farm-to-school activities, the network’s statement said. schools in 2013, the network said.

The Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Farm to School Program connects school food service systems with local farmers and food producers. The program helps students learn to appreciate the importance of local foods and grow into well-informed consumers who demand local foods as adults.

Kentucky schools in the KDA program served local foods to an estimated 364,000 children in approximately 702 schools in the 2011-2012 school year. A total of 84 school districts are members of Kentucky Proud.

The Kentucky Farm to School Program runs the Farm to School Junior Chef competition, in which high school cooking teams throughout the Commonwealth compete for scholarships while learning basic cooking techniques and being educated about the importance of local foods.

For more information on the Kentucky Farm to School Program, go to www.kyagr.com or contact Tina Garland at 502-382-7505 or tina.garland@ky.gov.

Chester County Historical Society gets grant for Williamson book

Chester County Historical Society gets grant for Williamson book Rob Lukens, left, president of the Chester County Historical Society, is pictured with Don Kohler, president of the Chester County Bar Foundation. The Chester County Bar Foundation presented a grant to CCHS for the preservation of Passmore Williamson’s 1855 prison visitors book.

The Chester County Historical Society (CCHS) is thrilled to receive a generous grant of $5,000 from the Chester County Bar Foundation for the restoration of Passmore Williamson’s 1855 prison visitors book.

Rob Lukens, president of the Historical Society, stated “CCHS is very grateful for this significant grant from the Chester County Bar Foundation.

Don Kohler, president, stated “The Chester County Bar Foundation is proud to support the Historical Society on such an important part of Chester County history.

Funds from the Chester County Bar Foundation will be used towards the conservation of this rare visitors’ book.

UK will be celebrating its first national celebration of social enterprises dubbed as Social Saturday. World famous celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who founded the Fifteen restaurant chain.

Federal Government Grant and Assistance Programs

Edited by: Michael Saunders

© 2008-2024 Copyright Michael Saunders